PlayMakers Laboratory (PML) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization in its 23th year. We provide arts education programs to students aged 7-13 throughout Chicago, focused on storytelling, theater, and social-emotional skills.
Our objectives are:
- to teach fundamental creative writing skills;
- to provide consistent and nurturing attention to each student over a sustained period of time ;
- to build each student’s confidence in self-expression, self-esteem, and writing skills;
- to perform high quality, professional theater to the students we serve and the broader community; and
- to form lasting partnerships.
PlayMakers Laboratory (PML) is an ensemble of teaching artists who create an experimental learning environment in which students share their personal voices and celebrate the power of their imaginations. PML accomplishes this through creative writing workshops and in-school performances of students stories. PML also engages the broader community in support of the visions of young people through public performances of their work.
A radically kind Chicago that champions students ideas.
PML’s programming is comprised of three branches: our in-school residency program, an after-school program, and public performances. While each of these branches of our programming is essential to our mission of empowering the youth of Chicago with their creative voices, our school residency program is the core work of our organization.